In 2007 I was an immediate fan of 20x200, even before it was launched. Jen had me at the announcement of a new concept for affordable art. I signed up to be notified when it launched, whatever it was. I was an art student, and a new media designer and loved everything that combined the two. And I was in awe, because I has always dreamt of starting an art gallery, and here someone was making that a reality, on her own terms in a completely original way.
After launch I nagged her about shipping to the Netherlands and when they did I bought several editions. I am partial to the special Jason Polan editions, though my favorite is Untitled (300 x 404) by Greg Allen (for obvious reasons I think?).
When the newsletter with the Globe by Rachel Hulin came along, I was mesmerised by the luminous globe on the screen. I did not necessarily want the print, I wanted that image on my computer screen so I could marvel at the luminance of the earth. I searched 20x200 for the highest resolution picture, but it was not enough, I even e-mailed Jen about it asking if she could give it to me, sell it to me.
Later that desire for a digital image turned into the realisation that there as a need for an art gallery selling digital editions. I have a background in webdesign and digital art, and I decided to make my dream of starting an art gallery a reality, by playing on my strengths and to build a digital gallery myself, selling digital art, to be enjoyed digitally.
After two years of work in-between client work The File Arts has launched a month ago. And there is a lot of inspiration in it from 20x200, from the eclectic range of art and artists, the mixture of art and photography, and the working with editions. Jen herself was a great inspiration to push on and make this a reality; her stories of entrepreneurship and living and working from a love of art pushed me on.
I believe I took the same approach to loving the art, giving collectors the opportunity to afford the art and to really connect with the art, and yet create a gallery completely my own; I love the fact that artists have agreed to sell their work for ‘pay what you want’. Every edition includes the source files for the work, as well as a PDF with background information. When you buy an edition from The File Arts you get the whole work, the biggest possible version of the work, background on the artist, and more.
Jen; congratulations with 5 years 20x200! And thank you for the inspiration! (And let me know what we can do to get Globe glowing on screens worldwide…).
- ifimjamesdeanyouraudryhepburn reblogged this from manbartlett
- henry-fox likes this
- lostand4gotten reblogged this from adamferriss
- peterican reblogged this from manbartlett
- ziplocearth reblogged this from manbartlett
- huntinggiraffe likes this
- lifeeiscolorful reblogged this from adamferriss
- inisfree likes this
- ajimdzulfiqar likes this
- frostthevii likes this
- accidentallydomesticated likes this
- boobitch likes this
- bstickel likes this
- sky-the-artistic likes this
- andrebob likes this
- srishtig likes this
- bestoflouisville101 likes this
- wingstwitch likes this
- celesticapractice likes this
- onecocainewhite likes this
- andwhatdoyousee likes this
- nanania likes this
- grizzzwald likes this
- karen-triana reblogged this from adamferriss
- correctladies reblogged this from adamferriss
- secrets-sacres likes this
- castrizo reblogged this from joycejamie
- fixthescientist reblogged this from manbartlett
- stay-yester-eraser-mohaq likes this
- lleucu-medusa reblogged this from manbartlett
- katbeals likes this
- panicinthestudio likes this
- joraris reblogged this from joycejamie
- joycejamie reblogged this from adamferriss
- joycejamie likes this
- atompowers likes this
- bcplayground likes this
- steampoweredmedia likes this
- musichealsthesoul likes this
- feefc reblogged this from adamferriss
- ashleysigh reblogged this from adamferriss
- worldinabox reblogged this from adamferriss
- mala-situacion reblogged this from manbartlett
- yasayanolugillerdenim likes this
- idontknowhowtostoploveyou likes this
- adamferriss reblogged this from thefilearts
- manbartlett reblogged this from brocatus and added:
- adamferriss likes this
- standardgrey reblogged this from brocatus
- standardgrey likes this